Welcome to my blog!!

Love to read comments! hint, hint, hint ;)

Search This Blog

Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Badger

Badgers are mammals and in the mustelid family. Mustelid means that they have musk which is a stinky, vulgar spray. Some of their relatives are otters, wolverines, skunks, ferrets and weasels.
Badgers have a white stripe on their nose, have a bushy tail and are short. They live in burrows.
They use the musk which they spray from a back gland for marking their territories and to keep predators away. Badgers' eyesight is not great, but their hearing is excellent.
They are omnivores, but mostly eat meat. Their favorite meal is worms because they are easy prey. At night the worms pop out of the dirt and that's when badgers hunt.
Badgers are not in Maine, but they are in other parts of North America, Europe and Asia.
Would you like to run into one out in the wild?

1 comment:

bibliowarrior said...

I think if I had a choice of running into a badger or a Tasmanian devil, I would want to run into a badger. But I would want to be wearing a suit of armor and carrying a bucket of worms that I could throw to him.